will a 26m genoa fit on a 26x

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion will a 26m genoa fit on a 26x

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

will a 26m genoa fit on a 26x
      Simon F, Fri Apr 06 2012, 07:21AM

Hi Macgregor friends,
      I have a 99 26x with a pretty rough jib. I took it into north sales in Richmond and they had a 26m genoa sale that I could get a good price on. I’m just wondering if it will fit. As it stands my mast is down and it would be a pain to put it up and test. It looks like it’s the same height… it’s just the longer width that concerns me. Does anyone have any insight.
      Thanks in advance,
      Simon

Re: will a 26m genoa fit on a 26x
      Kermie, Fri Apr 06 2012, 08:12PM

It is my understanding that the jib & genoa are the same sail on the X as on the M. My original jib has 26X emblazed on the sail bag. I am sure they are the same sails.

Windchime, Fri Apr 06 2012, 11:30PM

My response to Simon was that they would NOT be the same size.
      Based on the fact that the mast of the “M” is two feet taller that the “X”. So in theory the headstay and luff on the “M” should be longer.

But I went to the sail Warehouse, and they sell them as the same size.
      Can someone explain this for us?

http://thesailwarehouse.com/cgi-bin/web_store_TSW.cgi?page=home.html&cart_id=3815914_18973
      MacGregor 26X
      Furling Genoa 25.30 22.66 16.75 14.66
      MacGregor 26M Furling Genoa 25.30 22.66 16.75 14.66

Kermie, Sat Apr 07 2012, 03:12PM

i think the headsails are the same, just a difference in fractional rig. The M being 2′ taller may be a 3/4 fractional wheras the X may be a 7/8 fractional, so the distance from the mast base to he forestay hound would be the same on both models but the distance from the hound to the mast top would be different, thereby creating two different fractions.

Windchime, Sat Apr 07 2012, 06:29PM

That makes sense Kermie.
      I just assumed the forestay tang was the same distace from the masthead on both the “X” and the “M”.
      Never thought about the tang being in the same spot on both. Thus leaving the “M” an extra 2′ of mast above the tang.
      Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.