Victoria Day Weekend Cruise 2008

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion Victoria Day Weekend Cruise 2008

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Victoria Day Weekend Cruise
      Kermie, Tue Apr 29 2008, 01:07PM

Ok Folks, this thread will be for the May long weekend cruise May 17,18,19, 2008
      Main destintion is Silva Bay, side trips can be Pirates Cove, Newcastle or Wallace Island and even Naniamo.
      Who is somewhat interested?
      Who is not sure?
      Who is sitting on the fence waiting to see who else is going?
      Who would like to go if they have a buddy boat?
      Who is committed and definitely going?
      What is your experience?
      What other info do you need?
      What day are you leaving? What time? From where?
      Can others join you?
      X, M or Classic
      Your name & Boat name?
      How to contact you?
      So lets get started, this where you ask the questions and generate interest, find out who’s participating, and make plans, the more the merrier. step up to the plate folks, don’t be scared, we don’t bite, just bark alot.
      Summer starts the weekend of May 9, 2008.

Re: Victoria Day Weekend Cruise
      saynomore, Fri May 02 2008, 07:20AM

Saynomore, we are in.
      buddy boat: yes
      How much sailing/ cruising each day to our new destinations.
      Who is leaving from English Bay!!!
      I’m good to go Friday!
      First time crossing: Newbie
      Do we need to make marina arrangements or is there close gunkholes to ankor.

Liverpool Lou II, Fri May 09 2008, 11:57PM

OK when do we start, Friday afternoon or Saturday morning? I will be starting from Vanier and I would like to start on Friday if I can get on Boat on time.

Zoran

Kermie, Sat May 10 2008, 06:50PM

For those who have not checked the tide tables for Saturday May 17/08, the low tide (Vanier)is at aprox 11:00am and is only about 2 feet, incompatible for our trailering needs.
      Gail & I will not be able attend the Silva bay cruise, tides and other mitigating circumstances make it too impractical.
      We have just secured a slip at Pt Roberts this weekend so we will be spending next Saturday waiting for the tide to get high enough to launch from the ramp at lighthouse park and motor over to our new slip, so much for Saturday. Realistically we have resigned ourselves to spending what ever time we can squeeze out of the remaining weekend for day sailing. It is virtually impossible to be ready for any overnight cruises for at least another week after first splash, weather has been most uncooperative this season so far.
      For those who have the luxury of already being in the water, enjoy! We will once we get in the water, can hardly wait!

Liverpool Lou II, Sun May 11 2008, 10:00PM

So, who is going to Silva Bay, other than me I do not see any hands up

saynomore, Mon May 12 2008, 06:35PM

Zoran, I was first to post and was counting on you to join us, I need to follow you, this time use ballast so I can keep up to you. So when do you want to leave. I can leave work friday afternoon.
      Steve
      Com modore, MYCBC

Liverpool Lou II, Mon May 12 2008, 10:53PM

I might not be able to start on Friday afternoon, might be able to launch earlier but cannot start sailing before 9:00 pm. How do you feel about night sailing to North Arm and than to Silva Saturday morning?

saynomore, Tue May 13 2008, 05:04PM

ok, tell me what i need to do to plan out this route and time line. Are we gunkholing or marina. Your the lead I am bringing Cathy along and promissing her it will be a smooth sail. So mon capitaine you have the helm… Is peter going to join us with his boat… maybe the wives will join in???

Liverpool Lou II, Tue May 13 2008, 11:18PM

Unfortunately no wives, she will never go across for the sake of her life. Peter is in Point Roberts and with his “real sail boat” he cannot make it to Silva that easy, too much of a trip.

Tides are OK for launch any time Friday afternoon. I plan to launch around 4;00 pm and tie the boat on the dock in marina. Than I have to go and do some family business and will be back on boat around 8:30 pm. If you are OK with night sailing you can follow me to North Arm (Chicken Cove) we sleep there tied to the booms and in the morning we go to Silva. Hopefully winds will be with us and we can sail other wise we power.

Egon (Raptor) called me today and he is possibly going with us and we will hook up with him likely Saturday morning (he starts from West Van).

If you feel uncomfortable night sailing you can sleep over in False Creek and I will wait for you in the morning on Point Gray and than we cross over.

I cannot promise smooth sailing as we do not know how the winds and sea will be, we will play safe. Your admiral will enjoy this trip. Egon checked and there is no slips in marina for Saturday night and we will anchor. Sunday at 10:14 am we catch slack in Gabriola and we can move to Pirate’s Cove. Monday 10:47 slack through Gabriola and sail back. Tides are good for retrieval at Vanier.

Kermie, Wed May 14 2008, 11:58AM

I will be spending the day getting in my slip, wish I was already there to catch the big flood tide, oh well next time.

saynomore, Wed May 14 2008, 07:38PM

Zoran,
      Call me on my cell so we can plan out our travels. I can get out the latest about 4pm on Friday from Port Moody, From the tide table I will be right in the middle of a flood tide so my haul speed will be reduced. But I think 1:30 hours will be enough to round English bay. I can pull in to the marina there and wait for you. If we can head out early enough so that Cathy doesn’t get scared I am fine. Also we know that bad weather is coming our way mid day Sunday so can we plan a safe and easy path home. The trick here is to make her feel comfortable as I need her for a season of sailing so we can keep up with peter and lydia. After Sylva Bay where else do you want to explore, are we doing pirates cove???. finally are you gunkholing or tying up into a marina at Sylva Bay. It’s nice to hear that Rapture… Egon is willing to set sail with us. We may just get more last minute sailors to join us. Give me a call U have my cell

Liverpool Lou II, Wed May 14 2008, 08:35PM

No worries Terry, it is fine if they tow us up the river I never been there, if they tow us up at night than tides are ok for return down. It is nice to see new places.

Liverpool Lou II, Wed May 14 2008, 08:42PM

No worries Terry, it is fine if they tow us up the river I never been there, if they tow us up at night than tides are ok for return down. It is nice to see new places.

saynomore, Wed May 14 2008, 10:21PM

Zoran:
      Give me call on my cell. It’s nice to see members adding to the list.
      I can leave POMO @ about 4PM latest. I will be on rising tide btwn 2nd Narrows and English bay so approx 1:30 hours to make it to Burrard Marina. Now Chicken Cove that’s just around UBC near the Fraser Rvr… right! Looking at the tides tables we need to be up and and gone by 8am latest which would put us at Sylva Bay by 11AM just in time for a good lunch. Do we head out after lunch and go to Pirates cove then return to Sylva for the evening. Now Sunday’s forcast is not looking good in late afternoon. So if we pull out by Noon – 13:00 hours we should be good to be back in English bay by 1600 1700 hours.
      Radio 68 monitor

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.