Rocna anchor

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Rocna anchor
      TTony604, Wed Aug 15 2012, 09:42AM

I want to share my experience with using a 10kg (22 pound with 25 ft
      chain – Rocna Anchor. I spent the night in Storm Bay on the Sechelt
      Inlet with my father. The evening in late July was perfect with only 1 other boat in the bay. Since it was the first time for me to anchor, I was still a bit nervous. I let down the anchor & rode, scope was about 1:5 in about 20 feet of water depth. We then put the engine in reverse around 1500 rpm to make sure the anchor would hold & set properly.

Surprisin gly, my GPS anchor alarm went off when the winds
      picked up at 2am and changed directions 180 degrees. I poked around, got my flashlights out & saw the other guy in the bay also looking out with his light to see what was going on. Wind was a good 15+ knots, not exactly sure, maybe more. Yikes! Good thing we were in a protected bay, the winds were strong, but that didn’t translate into big waves maybe because there were fairly high mountains surrounding the bay.

We didn’t drag and in the morning, the anchor came up with ease.

I felt that the $250 Rocna anchor was well worth spending on a
      slightly bigger & better anchor as recommended by some of our members
      during our Spring MacFoulie for peace of mind.

Re: Rocna anchor
      Windchime, Wed Aug 15 2012, 04:08PM

Tony,

Glad to hear that your first night at anchor was safe and sound!

A couple of comments about your story (if I may)

1) One of the biggest reasons for an anchor drag (besides the wind just being too strong for the anchor to hold) is the anchors ability to reset itself. As you experienced, this happens when the wind changes direction and pulls the anchor and rode in a different direction. The anchor rolls on the bottom and actually comes out, then it needs to reset itself. Sounds like your new Rocna reset itself perfectly. Bruce anchors do this as well, but Danforths can sometimes struggle to reset if they get weeds or stones caught in the flukes.

2) You had 25 feet of chain. Which is the minimum you should have in your rode. Specs say to have at least one foot of chain for every foot of boat. This chain holds the rode low and aids in the resetting ability, as well as acts as a shock absorber.

3) You attended a MYCBC MacFoullie session, and learned a few tips from our collective experience. One of the biggest reasons for our clubs success is this constant sharing of knowledge from our members.

Congrats again on a successful first night on the hook!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.