Our three weeks in the Mac

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion Our three weeks in the Mac

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
  • #1313

      Our three weeks in the Mac
      Mystic Rose, Sun Jul 13 2008, 07:26PM

      HI All,

      We were actually delayed by needing some work done on our Mercury engine. Because of that we opted to tow our MAC to Everett, WA port launch site. They have about 16 lanes of launch and retrieve ramps, tons of parking, and usuable on all tides. We launched and headed to Edmonds for the first night. The second night we went to Shilshole Marina and got a slip on “W” dock to watch the Wednesday night racers they are amazing how they sail out enmass without engines. We waited at this dock because its near the launch ramp and where we were suppose to meet up for the annual Blue Water Gettogether at Port Orchard. At about one there were about 9 Macs motoring toward Port Orchard. No winds at all and many of those that started just got their boats. Linda and I headed for Elliot Bay to get some pictures of downtown Seattle because it was a perfectly clear day. As we got closer to Port Orchard the wind picked up enough to start sailing. It was getting late and we needed to be in our slip at Port Orchard by 6 for the welcome party.
      We spen four days there enjoying Blue Water Yachts food, music, seminars, and all the other owners and their boats. I think I heard there were 45 boats. but that does not include the big boats Todd has sold. Any person that has bought a boat from him is invited. On Saturday there is a Not for Race race. Todd and his crew follows boats out and gives instruction on the water, its very helpful for new owners. On Saturday night we had live music Jimmy Buffet style and great company.
      On Sunday we had to say goodbye to our new friends and headed north. Later that day we stayed at Port Ludlow. a resort marina. We stopped here one other year and enjoyed the time. They have free wireless too. Got caught up with business i needed.
      We then headed into the Hood Canal about a 60 mile inlet. On the way in you go to one side or another of a floating bridge. There are two fixed bridges on either side, we opted for the higher one. as we were lining up on the bridge the floating part started to open. I was confused. It was answered when we got through the fixed bridge part. There was a submarine leaving Bangor Naval Station. It had three small patrol boats that started towards me as we were taking pictures. I headed away and so did the small boat. We spent the next five days sailing and motoring throughout the Hood Canal. There are not many protected gunkholing areas, but they are pretty well advertised so there is somewhere to either find a slip or anchor. We stayed at two state parks and they had great facilities. Finally we had to start home. We retraced our stays back up north. We stayed at Port Orchard for three days and enjoyed the Independance Day celebration there. We visited and stayed at a small bay close by called Mats Mats. It is very protected but a narrow passage to get into it. Then the next day we had 15 to 25 knot winds in the Straights, so we motored east then north to Everett to recover the inflatable and our Mac. It was the opening weekend of crabbing and the launch ramps were very crowded. A minus tide to boot. Got the boat on the trailer and derigged. Then about an hour and half drive back to Ferndale. It was a great trip.
      need to clean out the boat yet and get it back in the slip in Squallicum Harbor in Bellingham.

    Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

    Comments are closed.