New Outboard

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

So it turns out the 2007 Mercury (Verado) 75 hp cowling (engine cover) is way TOO BIG! I saw one on a model X and the owner had to cut-out some of the back of the seat kust to get the engine to go into the up position.:(

We have an option of a 2001 Honda 75 HP.

Does anyone have this engine on a model X? Will it fit?
    Any problems with the carbs versus electronic fuel injection?

Harmony
    Keymaster

My guess it’d be slightly larger than the Suzuki, but certainly smaller than the beefy Merc. Personally I’d love to see the new 2015 115hp Merc on the back of an X – remarkable they could squeeze 2.1L displacement into 359lb.

I would suspect only the Evinrude and Kermie’s Yamaha 70hp has a chance of mounting without having to modify the back of the captain’s seat – but no where near as aggressive as the MercX at Burrard – and I’m not sure if it has to be that much. Next time you’re by please have a closer look at Bachus – I’m due to cut out a bit of our seat as the DF90 does hit in near full upright (I can’t go fully upright as the front presses down on rudder linkage – I think Windspiration clears better as theirs is mounted an inch higher and has the transom reinforcement plates and wedges – but the linkages are different between the years)

I don’t think you’ll get a NMEA engine readout on your MFD/plotter with carbs, as I know I couldn’t even get an hour meter on our prior 02 Honda BF50.

Rob & Angelee
      Keymaster

Give Cascade Marine in Chilliwack a call. I was talking to them recently and they were clearing out some consignment and old stock. I was looking for a small motor for our dinghy, but they said all they had were ‘bigger motors’ I wasn’t thinking and so didn’t think to ask about a motor for your boat. Their number is: 1-800-663-2269

direct link to their clearance specials:
        http://cascademarine.ca/marine-engines.php

Anonymous

I checked the link and they have a used Etec 75 for $5,500

So after much research and discussion, we thank you all for your good advice – we have rebuilt the powerhead on our 2000-DF50/hp.

Lots of things to consider when repowering. One of the main reasons for us rebuilding, besides the money (1/3 the cost of new) is that we are only the second owners of this motor and over the last nine years we have come to know and trust it very well. The engine only has 650 hours on it as we only average about 50 hours per year (aren’t sailboats great) and the damage that caused us to rebuild in the first place was a $25 tension chain bracket and was a fluky failure, but because we needed to pull the power head to replace the part we decided to spend the extra and rebuild.

Complete new powerhead rebuild including; piston rings, main and con-rod bearings, valves and seats lapped + new guides, tappets re-shimmed, oil seals and gaskets, water jackets cleaned, rust painted, hose connectors, etc.

We looked at going with a new-ish engine, but were not comfortable risking buying someone else’s problem.

We looked it going near new, specifically with Mercury from Bridgeview but the total after taxes installation, prop, control cables, and gauge is just over $8000 for a 75hp.

We looked at buying brand-new but just didn’t want to spend upwards towards $10,000 right now.

Yes, going faster would be nice, but we are happy and confident with our choice to rebuild an engine that we know and trust.

Ps, I am proud to say that the water jackets in this 15 year old engine were almost completed clean and open. Almost no salt build up clogging the water system. I attribute this to not only vigilant maintenance fresh water flushes after almost every use, but also to flushing with a product called “Salt Away” several times a year. I swear by it, and the result are now proof positive for me by seeing the inside of our engine.

Thanks again for everyone’s thoughts, we learned a lot through this process, and by going public we hope others did too.

Darry & Leisa
          s/v “happy” Windchime 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.