MacGregor Stoves

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

This is a thread moved from the Member Chatbox:

John van Gerven asked:
    Hi all, I wonder if someone could tell me what kind of stove to install in my ’97 26X and where to purchase it? I would prefer a dealer in the Langley or Surrey area if possible. Thanks.

John, you have several options.

We installed (bolted to the galley top) a standard 2-burner Coleman propane stove into our 2000X.

It uses one pound green propane cans so no worry about leaks, and we store the propane cans in the cockpit fuel locker.

We attached a wood cutting board on the top to add extra working space in the galley, and rust painted the stove black & silver, and it’s still going strong after 8 years.

Plus we have a portable single element butane unit for cooking crabs on the dock, or taking onshore for potluck dinners.
    (See photo below)

* Counter flush mount options are; Origo or Wallace. I’m sure you’ll get some other members comments on those.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Anonymous

Thanks Windchime, I was using a propane stove myself last outing.
      Does your propane can attach under the counter?
      I had a built in Wallas stove/heater from 1997, but it has an aluminum tube that disintegrated underneath. The stove would be very costly to replace so I am looking for a simpler replacement. I do now have a hole in my counter top however, which I closed with some thin wood paneling as a temporary fix.
      I appreciate the advice.
      John.

Our Coleman 2-burner propane stove uses the small 1 pound green propane cans. They attach to the stove and sit ON-TOP of the galley counter ONLY when we are using the stove, otherwise they are kept in the cockpit with the other fuel.

Origo makes about the best size 2-burner or single burner alcohol stove. Some models have both alcohol and an A/C element.

Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Anonymous

Hi John we have the simple single burner flush mount Origo. I like it. It is very simple and safe.

Pros:

Alcohol is lighter than air

Spills quickly evaporate

Fuel is cheap and widely available

Fuel containers are usually light weight plastic and easily recycled

Flame can be extinguished with water

Cons:

Slower cooking time.

Flame can be hard to see in daylight.

Certain fuels smell funny.

Different fuels have different heat

Methyl hydrate(gas line anti freeze/fondue fuel/paint thinner) is the lowest BTU at est 9,000

DeNatured alcohol(grain alcohol tampered with to make it undrinkable) has up to 12,000 BTU. We bought some Phab and it smelled funny while cooking

A recent development is alcohol for indoor fireplaces sold at Canadian Tire under the name BioFlame. Word on the street is it’s the hottest and in the middle of the price range

Iso alcohol can be used in a pinch but it’s often smoky.

We have found a gallon of Methyl Hydrate from Home Depot paint department for $10 lasts a season no problem.

Gotta run, if I think of anything else I’ll add it later.

Willy

Ron Gillies
        Keymaster

We have a two burner Origo. It was in the boat when we bought it. Agree with the comments above that Willy made. We love it, it does take longer to warm up than the butane single burner that we also use but fuel lasts forever and it’s easy to use.

Rick & Sue
          Participant

We have the Princess single burner built in butane stove with cutting board cover. Great for us as it came with the boat. Stupidly expensive $380 at Defender.com Butane stove boils water real fast and cheap fuel lasts well. We also have a portable single burner butane. Much more reasonable $12 on sale at Rona last year. Cooking with alcohol is definitely slower. If you think this might be aggravating you should check out someone else’s before purchase. Twice as long?? Also be aware that not waiting for it to cool before refuelling can be dangerous. The flame is almost invisible and people have mistakenly thought it was out of fuel and pouring alcohol into the stove lit them and their boat on fire. Moral of the story whichever stove you choose. Treat it as one of the most dangerous things on your boat. Happy cooking.
            Rick

Anonymous

Thanks for all the great comments. Seems I have a lot to think about, but at least I know some options now. Guess the best thing to do will be to go out and look at some of the different models and pick one that suits my needs.
              John

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.