Introduction and Question

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion Introduction and Question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Introduction and Question
      Tedd, Sat Jan 05 2013, 11:30AM

I have not yet joined MYCBC, but I joined this forum yesterday. I guess I’m what you would call a wannabe at this point, just testing the waters for a possible future foray into sailing. A trailerable sailboat looks like by far the best option for me, and the MacGregors seeem to be the best trailerables.
      My background in sailing is not extensive. I sailed a Bombardier 3.8 a lot growing up, and sailboards a little bit in the 80s, but I’ve never had any formal instruction. I’m a former air force pilot, though, so I am familiar with vector navigation and reading charts and forecasts. I’m also a mechanical engineer, so am somewhat familiar with aerodynamics and hydrodynamics. So I’m looking forward to learning more about sailing, which seems to be related to those subjects in new and interesting ways.
      Now to my question. Being an engineer, one of the first things I did was go out and collect data on MacGregors that were for sale, and then developed an asking price curve, by year — because I’m a nerd and I like to do stuff like that. One thing that jumps out from the data is that asking prices in Canada are much higher — about 15 percent higher on older models, up to about 40 percent higher on more recent models. Clearly, exchange rate is not the issue anymore. So why such a big difference? I can understand that there would be some difference, since there is some cost and effort involved in importing a boat. But a difference of $10k or more is hard to explain.

Re: Introduction and Question
      Gemini, Sat Jan 05 2013, 01:52PM

Hi Tedd, Welcome to the MYCBC website. Everything is more expensive in Canada! The only reason I can figure is its the Canadian way. Or maybe sailing in the crystal clear northern waters of Canada somehow increases the value of the boat?? I bought my 26M new from BWY in Seattle with no sailing experience (moving up from canoes and kayaks). I guess I wasn’t smart enough to check out the used market but I am very happy with the end result. A great boat, great service and even 2 days of instruction before they would let me take it home. No problems bring it across the border. Just paid the HST and a couple hundred to get the trailer approved. Since then I have learned a ton from the great people in the MYCBC. Good luck in your search for and purchase of your new boat.

Tedd, Sat Jan 05 2013, 02:13PM

Gemini:
      Thanks for the reply. I’m certainly getting very positive feedback on MacGregors — everything from the performance of the boats to the calibre of the people. Very encouraging!
      I was thinking about the price difference across the border a little more, and I think I understand it. The current near-parity in the dollars is a relatively recent thing. Most owners would have bought their boat when the Canadian dollar was much lower, so I think the prices here probably reflect reasonable depreciation on what the boat originally cost in Canadian dollars.
      Tedd

Coastal Drifter, Tue Jan 08 2013, 12:26PM

I believe that another piece of this is the economic situation in Canada vs the US. There are a lot more boats on the market in the US because people can no longer afford to operate them.

Mystic Rose, Wed Jan 09 2013, 06:53PM

I watch for MACs for sale on craigslist, and several sailing sites. I do feel the prices in Canada are a bit higher, but I think most of the newer boats have more features and options. The economy might be an issue too. I think there are more MACs in the states that stay in the water, that wears them out a bit more. I wonder if a boat bought in Canada is more expensive to begin with. It so hard to get an apples to apples comparison because of age, condition, the options, and initial price. Would be interesting to find out what the actual selling price is too.

Tedd i am glad you are considering a MAC, I am sure you will enjoy the boat and the sailing community.

Tedd, Wed Jan 09 2013, 07:52PM

Gerry:

Thanks very much, I’ve found the sailing community very welcoming so far.

I recently learned about the MacGregor 19s, as well. My inclination is to be a bit conservative about how much I spend on my first boat, so that might be a good choice for us.

There’s a lot to learn, but I’m finding it all very interesting!

Kermie, Thu Jan 10 2013, 03:27PM

On the older model Macs there would have been a considerable difference in price relative to exchange rates. I bought my 2003 26M in 2003 new when the Canadian dollar was much lower than the American dollar. Back then the difference in price was still to big a spread and I almost went south of the border to make my purchase but in the end the dealer here compromised a bit to get my business.
      Another difference in prices of Macs can also be attributed to the amount of options the boat has. You have to take a much closer look at what the extras are that add value to the boat. I have invested at least an additional 15-20K into my boat in the 10 years I have owned it so I would be inclined to have a higher asking price. Of course I could also strip it down to be competetive and sell the extras seperately on a board like this. New from the factory the Mac is a starter hobby kit, you buy the boat then buy the customization parts to finish the final assembly to your own needs. Mine is tricked out to the nines as a few others are and that can be reflected in the asking price. You should take the time to familiarize yourself with what the bare bones basic boat is and then be able to identify what is added extra. It can be very surprising to discover that much of what you might consider basic rigging is actually aftermarket options. Start taking a closer look at the boats and make notes of what the added value components are.

Tedd, Thu Jan 10 2013, 04:26PM

Terry:

Thanks, lots of good ideas there. I’ve been browsing the web for an hour or two nearly every day for the last week, and I can see that I’m just starting to scratch the surface of what I need to learn. Looking forward to the boat show, where I’ll get a chance to talk to some people face to face, and maybe see some boats I’m interested in, in the flesh.

Tedd

Mystic Rose, Thu Jan 10 2013, 07:26PM

Exchange in the forum can help so much. The Seattle Boat Show is January 25 – February 3, 2013, at CenturyLink Field and South Lake Union, The MacGregor dealer, Blue Water is always there with boat show specials. If you feel its worth your time, head on down. Todd and Cheryl can answer a lot of questions.

Liverpool Lou II, Tue Jan 22 2013, 06:12PM

Tedd
      I can give you only one advice. Go for the boat that is equipped well. I know you now think now you do not need all these extras, but soon you will realize you need them and then they will cost you more time and way more money. Example I now could not live without dodger, autopilot, water system and my newest addition, full enclosure. And it would be hard to live without many other things I did on my boat. As Terry said it is measured in 5 didgit numbers.

Tedd, Tue Jan 22 2013, 06:47PM

Thanks, good tip. I also picked up Brian Gilbert’s book, “The Complete Trailer Sailor,” and I’m learning a lot from that.

Tedd

Mystic Rose, Wed Jan 23 2013, 11:22AM

Theres an M in Bellingham Craigslist, for 17,000 as of last night. I have no idea whats on it.

Tedd, Wed Jan 23 2013, 06:18PM

Mystic:

Thanks, that looks like it has potential. I’m not ready to make a move yet, though. I’ll be doing research for at least all of this summer, and maybe longer. I also have another expensive hobby that I would have to wean myself from, first!

I recently found out that someone I’ve known for years has a MacGregor 26 classic. He’s offered to take my wife and I sailing in the spring. That’ll be a great chance for us to get a better idea what it’s all about.

Tedd

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.