HELP! Sailing advice….not enough underwear.

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion HELP! Sailing advice….not enough underwear.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

So …. my wife and I were happily cruising along Lake Koocanusa, with a full ballast, doing about 3 knots somewhere between a close haul and a beam reach. Full main and jib out in slight chop with a relaxing 5’ish degree lean when we suddenly go over to a full 25 degrees. I steered away from the wind and we went over another 5 degrees until the wind was astern and we came back up. There were no tell tale wind cues that I could see, no white caps and no ugly advancing ripple line. Any advice on how to avoid this in the future?? Should I have steered into the wind or quickly released the boom to allow it to swing out thereby “dumping wind”? I usually don’t pack enough underwear for many events like this and TBH…it doesn’t make me love sailing. It was kind of like the famous line from Jurassic Park: “Oh, yeah. Oooh, ahhh, that’s how it always starts. Then later there’s running and screaming.”

Alan & Belinda
      Participant

Mountain lakes can be gusty and can be aloft and not visible on the surface. We’re always ready on the mainsheet to give it a ‘fisherman’s reef’

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.