Bottom Painting and Lettering

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion Bottom Painting and Lettering

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Bottom Painting and Lettering
      Delphinus, Tue Jan 20 2009, 01:03PM

Howdy folks…when my Mac gets back from BWY for its repairs, I want to do a bottom paint and apply my lettters and name. Does anyone know of a place that can accommodate/rent space for about a week in the lower mainland – preferrably close to Chilliwack/ Abbotsford area where I can properly lift the Mac, sand it down and do the dirty work?! If there are others in the same ‘boat’ – no pun intended! – perhaps we could collaborate in purchase of paint, space rental, etc. I anticipate an early March time period for this.

Also open to recommendations as to a good outfit that can apply my K numbers and name.

Please respond to this thread or call my cell at 604-798-9118. Thanks!

Re: Bottom Painting and Lettering
      Kermie, Fri Feb 13 2009, 11:22AM

I am sort of in the same boat, so to speak, as far as bottom paint anyway. I spoke with the rep at the Interlux booth last week to discuss bottom painting my boat and received some credible direction on the process. It sounds like I can do it for under $500.00 for supplies and my own free labour. I will likely do it in my driveway. I am going to de-wax it then apply the epoxy barrier undercoat and then the CSC antifouling paint. I am sure it will be a big ugly job but I have been doing the big ugly job of waxing 2-3 times per season for the last five years. Time to do the paint job.
      As far as lettering the previous dealer Gerry Berg use to do it for us but now Affordable Dreas has the dealership and am not sure how they handle it. I did see a booth at the show that was promoting boat lettering and was sure I got their pamphlet but now I cannot find it.

, Sat Feb 14 2009, 05:13PM

The company that was doing the lettering was Jensen Signs from North Van. Their website is http://www.jensensigns.com They had a show special, probably will still honor it if you ask them for it.

, Tue Mar 17 2009, 11:13PM

Don’t know if you’re still looking for a boat lettering company, but we used:
      http://www.boat-lettering.com/ – it is based in Saskatchewan. The gentleman who assisted us there was very helpful and prompt in his response to our requests.

You can try out your own lettering design online, using the a huge variety of fonts and colours they offer. If you have a picture, logo, or design you would like to have made into a decal, they will do that, too; all you have to do is drop them an email to make arrangements to do this. It was quick, easy, and very inexpensive. The decals came with detailed instructions, making it easy to apply them ourselves. They look great and have stood up well to a variety of conditions.

Hope this helps!

Liverpool Lou II, Wed Mar 25 2009, 09:52AM

I keep my boat on dry storrage and I am not planning to do a bottom paint yet. But, I would recommend you to apply a prottective coat for blistering first, and than bottom paint. It is a bit more expensive, but you might do it right from the start and avoid any potential problems down the road. You can research the web for blistering protection and you will find tons of information.

Delphinus, Fri Mar 27 2009, 08:58PM

Thanks all….I managed to find someone locally in Chilliwack who did the boat name and lettering for a good price. Ran out of money to do the bottom painting this year, but am hoping that mooring in Harrison will make it un -ncecessary for mone more year. On top of that, I am a diver so will get in the water to clean it up once in awhile. The few short salt water trips I want to do should not affect it this year.

When I do proceeed, want to do the 2-part system that, while more expensive, is generally better. Commercially priced that for about 1300 out here in the Chilliwack area.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.