battery charging with solar

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums Boat Maintenance and Mods battery charging with solar

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I am charging a deep cycle AGM battery and a starter battery with a charger/combiner ( installed by Blue Water Yachts). I would like to use a solar panel instead of shore power at the sailing club. How can that be done? If I continue paying for electricity I am also required to install a galvanic isolator. With solar power I am not connected to the shore power ground and don’t have to have this expensive galvanic isolator.

Gerry Mitchell
      Participant

I can’t address the galvanic isolator, theres never been one at the docks I kept my boats at.
        If you want Solar, figure out how much power you need to keep the batteries charged, how much sun you will get per day/week/month. Then you will have to determine how many watts of solar input you can put on the boat. Its very doable. You could have permanently installed units and portable solar panels.
        Then you will have to decide what kind of panels, and controller you want. I have a 6300KW array of panels for the house. It interties to the electrical grid. I also have two 300 watt panels, 30 amp controller, and six 110AH batteries. I can run electrical equipment in my shed in all months but the mid winter months. Then I just use the 110V.
        I know several in the club have solar panels installed on their boats, they would be a good source on how much 110AC power you would have to add in addition to the solar.

Alan & Belinda
        Participant

Put the solar outputs to the same terminals as where the shore charger is connected. Lots of good stuff on Pacific Yacht Systems Youtube channel.
          https://youtu.be/uXWSQ-plYgw

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.