August Long Weekend – Saltspring cruise.

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion August Long Weekend – Saltspring cruise.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

August Long Weekend – Saltspring cruise.
      saynomore, Fri Jul 25 2008, 03:39PM

This was our tentative plan for the August long week end cruise around Saltspring.

“August 4th long weekend gets the SaltSpring Island circumnavigation, a real adventure, I’ve done it. Start at Ganges, going counter-clockwise head north and stop at Telegraph cove, Thetis Island, then head south to Maple Bay, very nice spot, then on down to Genoa and past Cowichan and then around to Fulford and back up to Ganges. You can stop at Otter bay along the way too, another great overnite spot. Really only need 2-3 nights stop, it’s a cool trip.”

Larry Cross of Saltsprings mentioned some options while visiting in Port Browning last month and I can’t find the email. So I will call him and get up to speed again. Then the other topic of conversation was that some members wanted to try a night crossing which also changes the demographics.

So in my planning stage I need to know how many members want to do a night sail, we will arrange it so that we all meet at Porlier pass and dead slack in the early hours for Saturday morning. This will allow the Pt Roberts Group, English Bay, and Sunshine coast members time to plan departures to meet on the water about the same time on Georgia strait to do the crossing at the pass.

So please email me or post your interest for the weekend… NOW!
      Steve
      Commodore, MYCBC
      scsta@shaw.ca

Re: August Long Weekend – Saltspring cruise.
      singlesailor, Sat Jul 26 2008, 12:36AM

The circumnavigation of Salt Spring sounds like a good plan. I suggest spending Saturday in Ganges to take advantage of our main attraction, the Market. I have put together a little information that may be of interest to those attending. have a look at this web page: http://www.saltspring.org/sailing.htm

If there is anything I can do to help make this a great event, please let me know.
      If you want any information about Salt Spring drop me an email: larrycross@telus.net or give me a call at 250-537-5013. I look forward to seeing you all.
      Larry on Saltspring.

saynomore, Sat Jul 26 2008, 09:59PM

Immediate action requested

Special marina rates: if 10 or more club member boats reserve space, the rate is $1.00 per foot.
      The marina will also set up tables and a shelter on the dock for a barbeque or whatever.
      As of Saturday July 27 at 5 pm, the marina has space for 10 Macgregors all on one dock for Saturday August 2/08
      This space will disappear quickly if you don’t reserve now.

To reserve phone: 250-537-5810 or toll free 1-800-334-6629
      or email: -email-

Windchime, Sun Jul 27 2008, 04:24PM

Aug 2 Long Weekend.

Dear all,

We have booked a slip at Salt Spring Marina for Saturday August 2&3/08. The marina said “no other members from the club have booked yet”, but they will hold space as long as they can.

We will be crossing from Crescent Beach to catch the 12:00 slack at Active Pass, then straight to the Public Market as soon as we tie up. We will probably stay in Ganges the entire weekend. We monitor VHF-16 when underway.

Does the club have a VHF number to monitor during club functions?

Darry & Leisa
      Windchime

Kermie, Mon Jul 28 2008, 12:17PM

Gail & I are tentatively planning for SaltSpring Island. I kind of like Windchime’s idea of just hanging out at Ganges for the weekend!
      Gail & I just arrived home late last night (Sunday) from a five day cruise around SaltSpring Island. We left from Pt Roberts (Wednesday) and spent the first night at Ganges Harbour to clear customs and stayed at SaltSpring Marina (we like that one). We then spent Thursday travelling counter clockise from Ganges to Maple Bay, took us four hours @ 3500rpm. You can do it faster with all fins up and empty ballast or you can do it slower attempting to sail it. Maple Bay is a very nice stop over with full facilities, restaurant at the marina (gas too), extremely clean and well kept grounds. (you can anchor there too as many do!) From Maple Bay you can travel back to Ganges counter clockwise and complete the journey. That is my own personal recommendation having done this trip for the second time. Since we were on a five day cruise we left Maple Bay Friday morning and passed by Swartz bay down to Sidney and stayed the night at Sydney (no gas there), it is a very high end marina. We got rained on Saturday morning but by noon it stopped so we struck out for Port Browning and stayed there Saturday night. Good food at the pub and good anchoring in the bay but not very clean facilities. We left Browning early Sunday morning and headed up Navy Channel to make the slack tide at Active Pass and met two ferries on the way through. The sail home across the straight started out pretty tame and boring until half way across then the wind started to kick up until it finally got too windy and became a roller coaster ride for the last few miles! What a relief it was to get in behind the breakwater, she was blowin 15+ knots late Sunday afternoon.
      The weather forcast for the long weekend does not look promising, hopefully they will be wrong and it may be sunny as I am not interested in getting rained on again and still like Daryy’s idea. For now plans are tentative depending on weather, We may leave a day early and spend Thursday or Friday night in Ganges, we like it there.
      Cheers,
      Terry

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.