Anchor's Away!!!

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums General Discussion Anchor's Away!!!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just curious on the types of anchors people are using or have used in the past?

Anchoring procedures, hand signals,

What do you carry on board?
      How Many?
      What do you find works?
      If you were to purchase a new one what would it be?
      What ratio do you use? for day anchor, overnight?
      How do you determine where to anchor to account for swing?

Our boat came with 3 anchors, a Danforth (gal steel), a Hinged Cqr, and a grapple.

We have only used the danforth with success for day anchoring.

Just wondering how other people do things to look for new ideas, or helpful hints.

Anonymous

Hey White Falcon!

I’m a claw lover! A good Bruce or CQR is a great anchor. After hearing about Windchimes night in howling winds that made him do a number of 360’s yet he never dragged anchor, I was sold and went out and got one for my boat. I have never had dragging issues and have always felt secure on our anchor. My suggestion is to ALWAYS buy one size bigger than is suggested for your boat. Nothing beats weight. I also use a Sentinal or Sea Angle which is an additional weight near the end of the rode where the nylon line meets the chain. Nothing beats weight! If I’m on anchor for an extended time I will use the Sentinal. Remember to have AT LEAST as much chain as the length of your boat. I suggest 30+ feet. Nothing beats weight!
        As for scope, if your in a crowded bay, then 3 to 1 may have to do. If you have room 5 to 1 is better and if it blows 7 to 1 is even better.
        Hope this is helpfull! Nothing better then to anchor in a quite little bay for the night, all by yourselves! Ahh, what a wonderful life we live!!!
        Cheers!
        Schogun

Rob & Angelee
        Keymaster

We have a 10Kg Rocna. We recently had Tickety-Boo, Schogun & Godi rafterd up together. Ours was the main anchor and held us without dragging and inch. To make sure, we used the radar to take some range readings after rafting up and again in the Morning.

In short our little 10Kg Ricna held 2 Macs and Schogun agains a breeze of upto 15kn over night.

I’m very impressed.

Anonymous

I have read that Ronca’s are grey anchors, but that was from the Ronca brochure and website. So not to sure how much of that is shameless self promotion (probably all of it) but it is nice to hear that it held all of you guys.

i have also read that it is easy to set, almost every time. which is nice to not have to get into a domestic from the bow trying to set and reset the anchor.

Rob & Angelee
            Keymaster

Yep. I’ve found the secret is to have the boat backing down VERY slowly to start the set. In my opinion, the only thing that’ll move a properly set anchor is and act if God… Or you’re pulling it up intentionally.

Overall, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how easily it sets, deals with the bad manners of a Mac on anchor and changing wind direction.

…and yes, they are grey… You can take a look at mine this weekend. I also went with the chain specified in the Rocna brochure.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.