Add GPS Data to your DSC radio

MYCBC – Why Join Us Forums Boat Maintenance and Mods Add GPS Data to your DSC radio

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alan & Belinda
    Participant

The recent club email discussing MMSI numbers mentioned connecting a chartplotter to a DSC radio to provide GPS data. Without this GPS data your DSC radio is not going to provide position data when the distress button is pressed, which in my opinion is the primary benefit of having DSC. If you have a chartplotter, make the connection to your radio.

With the growing popularity of tablets being used for chartplotters, getting that GPS data can be an issue. On Cenoté we use an Android tablet running Jeppesen Plan2Nav.

To get the GPS data to the radio I installed a unit like this. Garmin 19x
      The Garmin 19x installation was easy. Wiring was just a matter of matching the wires from one connector to the other and soldering it up. There are also NMEA 2000 versions available.

Keep this in mind if you don’t have a chartplotter. Without GPS data your DSC radio is nothing more than a fancy radio.

Ron Gillies
      Keymaster

Another option is the Standard Horizon GX-2200 VHF radio and integrated GPS antenna. Even though the DSC function will work without connecting it to a chartplotter I’m still going to connect it so that the AIS and DSC data displays on my chartplotter.

Anonymous

That is the radio I have. I think it is the 2100-gx but has the AIS and GPS capabilities. The AIS is nice to have on the chart plotter. and I think Zephyr you bought the same Chartplotter as us, so it is nice to show up on the big screen.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.