Anchors: Value of membership

Welcome to MYCBC Forums Buy and Sell Anchors: Value of membership

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Did you place an order for me (for an excel?) How and when do I pay you. How will the anchor get to me? What is the price.

Alan & Belinda
    Participant

Doug I’m in Calgary. If you want we can get the anchors to Chilliwack where I have family and then I can work on a way to get them here.

I placed my order for the 9.5kg excel just now on their website and spoke to John. Make sure you click Apply after entering the discount code or you won’t get the discount. Mine will be shipped to Sask (ouch) as picking it up it BC is not an option
    Brad (penguin)

Brian Sears
    Participant

Hi Steve,
    Just wanted to check on our order for the super sarca. Sorry it was so last minute, I was working all morning and had not seen your message.
    Please let us know how and when we need to pay you.
    Thanks,
    Brian and Anne-Marie

Steve & CathySteve & Cathy
    Participant

Doug Ron is picking up anchors tomorrow, but we will be out sailing for a week.
    Alan has a relative in Chilliwack that we can drop off anchors for Calgary. I will let you know when all is firmed up.

Shelley & DanShelley & Dan
    Participant

Steve and Ron,

John delivered 2Wish’n anchor off at Sidney Marina along with a D-shackle needed for the Super Sarca, so we are all set.
    We are hoping to stop into Montegue to see everyone if Covid-19 permits.

FYI almost all our MYCBC emails are landing in my junk box, hence slower responding.

Shelley & Dan
    2Wish’n

Brian Sears
    Participant

Hello everyone,
    We have been speaking with John about the Excell #2 anchor. He sent us a paper template for the anchor so that we could make up a cardboard anchor to try for size on our 26M. It seems that the anchor is going to be too big and could hit the bow and we and John have concerns and we are wondering how those of you who have now got your Excell anchors have fitted them on your boat. Did you fit them in the existing standard bow roller or did you have to build an extension? If so, photos would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Brian and Anne-Marie

Alan & Belinda
    Participant

I saw this question pop up after the agm yesterday so here is my 2 cents worth.
    None of these boats came with a bow roller so everyone is going to be different as far as fit goes. I really depends on what you have currently installed. In my case I think the super sarca is going to fit ok in the lewmar delta holder I have. I will need to change the setup for the holding pin.
    Unfortunately no standard answer.

Cenotè

Rick & SueRick & Sue
    Participant

I have a 10 kg Rocna that sits securely on the stock MacGregor bow roller on my 26M. I saw Aerwyna install his new Sarca on the bow roller of his 26m. It fits. I believe he was working on a way to easily secure it. My Rocna clips to the bow cleat but the long slot on the Sarca would not work the same as mine. Try messaging Aerwyna using the personal messaging under the membership tab.

My Sarca Excel (9.5 Kg) fit on my stock 26M bowroller. I have used it twice. The last time I was surprised by a 75 kph wind storm that came early and suddenly. That’s 39 knots The wind was from the west and I was in a v-shaped west facing bay. There was about a 2 mile fetch for the waves, which ended up being 3 to 4 feet high and breaking. The anchor was in mud and did drag slowly thru the mud over a 3 hour period. The anchor rode broke. I was fortunate to power up and escape being beached.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Expect the worse possible scenario and anchor for it.
    2: rig a snubber or bridle to take the pressure off the rode and distribute the load. Maybe rig a line back to a winch from the rode. or set a second anchor.
    3: It is impossible to go onto the fore deck in those conditions.
    4: It would be impossible to hand pull the anchor against wind like that.
    5: Anchor further from shore. I had 100 feet out in 12 feet of water with 35 feet of chain.
    6: Figure out some way to stop sailing back and forth. An anchor sails is not effective against the forces involved and may have actually increased to load
    7: These anchors will slowly drag under strain like that. I dragged at least 60 feet, until I was 25 meters from shore. If the rode had not broke I would have had to cut loose at some point. The storm lasted all day.

I lost the anchor, but was able to go back over two weekends and successfully drag for it. I used a big treble hook and a lead weight on a wire leader attached to a 1/2 inch rope and was able to snag the rope part of the rode. The anchor was fully dug in to half way up the shank. It was really tough to break it loose with my dinghy.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.